Comparison of Education Through Harry Potter

Hello. How are you? Today I would like to focus on the comparison of education between Japan and England through Harry Potter. In England, the compulsory education starts one year earlier than that of Japan and then children study at the primary school for six years. Then they must study at the secondary school for at least five years as well and students can study there two years more if they choose. In Harry Potter, Hogwarts is secondary school and the school term starts in September following the school system in England.
As almost all of us took the Center Test, students in England have to take a test called GCSE in the 11th grade and they have to choose eight subjects at least. In Harry Potter, students join O.W.L., Ordinary Wizard Levels, at the time. In 13th grade, they take the A-Level test and they narrow down the number of subjects based on what they want to learn in the future. At Hogwarts, they take N.E.W.T. instead.
If you read Harry Potter, we can gain a glimpse into the differences between the education system of England and that of Japan.  

Comments

  1. Hi, Nami. That’s interesting! I’ve never realized like that if you don’t focus on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year!
    reading this blog, I remembered that I learned the education system in Britain
    such as public school, and these tests they have to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comparison is so interesting!
    I can know the England system to read this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you!